Updated on March 30, 2020
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a virus that was recently identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Cases of COVID-19 also are being reported in a growing number of countries internationally, including the United States. The virus causes respiratory illness, with symptoms including fever, fatigue, cough, and shortness of breath. Some people may have flu, pneumonia, or more serious illness.
PGUSD staff, students, and parents can take common-sense precautions to prevent the spread of all infectious diseases.
The following measures will minimize the contraction and spread of COVID-19:
- Wash hands before eating, before touching eyes, nose, and mouth, before preparing food, and after using the restroom and spending time in public places.
- Avoid handshakes, fist bumps, and frequent hand-to-hand contact, especially with multiple individuals.
- Wash all surfaces of your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap. Before turning off the faucet, retrieve a paper towel, dry your hands, and then use the paper towels to turn off the faucet.
- If no soap and water are readily available, use an alcohol based hand sanitizer. Rub over all hand surfaces and let air dry.
- Remain at least 6 feet away from someone who is coughing and sneezing.
- Cover your cough with your sleeve or a tissue and then immediately wash or sanitize your hands. See CDC’s Cover Your Cough page.
- Stay home if experiencing any symptoms of illness and only return to school/work when free of fever, vomiting, and productive cough for 24 hours without use of over-the-counter medication. Contact healthcare provider for worsening symptoms.
Note: The California Department of Public Health does not recommend the use of face masks for general prevention and says that hand washing provides much better protection from infectious diseases.
Travel: For those traveling out of the local area, we highly recommend that you closely follow the CDC’s travel guidelines: Coronavirus COVID19 Information for Travel
District administration is sending daily community-wide email notifications regarding COVID-19. We will continue to provide community notifications as we receive updates from various health agencies including the Monterey County Health Department and the California Department of Public Health.
Access to previous PGUSD communications about COVID-19 can be found here.
- FAQ’s about Coronavirus (COVID-19) – English
- FAQ’s about Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Spanish
- What to do if you are sick with coronavirus (COVID-2019) – English
- What to do if you are sick with coronavirus (COVID-2019) – Spanish
- Stop The Spread of Germs
- EdSouce: What California Parents and Students Should Know About COVID-19
- CDPH 2019 Novel Coronavirus Guidance for Schools and School Districts
Health Agency Updates
- Monterey County Health Department – Novel Corona Virus Updates and Resources
- California Department of Public Health – New Coronavirus: What You Need to Know
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)